Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Late Season Pressure


Season ended on January 6th for the northern portion of the state, but the south still has until the 27th. This part of the season is probably the most exciting for most of us. Often, this is the waterfowl hunter's opportunity to see rare species, larger than usual flocks, and a higher probability of collecting bands. Any time of the year southern Ohio is fairly consistent in delivering birds. The main catalyst for success is indisputably the weather, and this time of year provides the optimal conditions for a full bag.

Northern Ohio holds the key, to not only the rest of the state's bird population, but also to the potential success of the southern states in the Mississippi Flyway. This key is Lake Erie. There exists a constant population of waterfowl on the lake. It is not uncommon to see various species that many of us would consider "rare" this early in the season. But the rest of the state may never see these birds until Lake Erie freezes over. In warm winters, like the this one, it may not happen during hunting season.

If you look around the web very much at all, you’ll quickly see complaints from hunters who live north of Columbus. They're complaining about the late season’s early end date. What most people don’t realize is that no state has the power to extend a waterfowl hunting season. The federal government mandates, per flyway, how many hunting days will be allowed, and the state simply plugs these numbers into dates they find appropriate and with the most potential to be successful. Many hunters feel like the season puts the north to a disadvantage by starting a week early, and after seeing the unseasonably warm winters we’ve been having in recent years, I think I agree. Nonetheless, the south absolutely needs this final week.  In my opinion, the last week is usually your best chance for success.
 
With the end of a season comes pressure, and lots of it. I started my hunt today in the field I limited in last weekend. There were plenty of birds on the river, but nothing came into the field. Educated birds. For the afternoon I went to “Sandfork Wetland”, a wetland built by Ducks Unlimited and maintained by the state. I’ve had great success here in the past, but not today. After hours, I walked around the marsh looking for spent shotgun shells… found about four boxes worth. Pressure.
 
Without going into hunting ethics (first article after the season will address ethics), the massive amount of shells shows me that I wasn’t the only person taking advantage of the local “honey hole”. This is why it’s important to have a plethora of hunting locations. I try to find a new spot every year, I don’t always find one, but it’s a good thought. Now I know I need to move on to the next location to try my luck. That being said, it was great to get out and enjoy God’s creation today, and I wouldn’t have traded it for sleeping in. I've never regretted going hunting, but I've often regretted sleeping in.


Cornfield by the Ohio R. in Gallia County

 
Sandfork Wetland- "Honey Hole"
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Deff being new to waterfowling I enjoy reading your updates. I know from talking to a good friend I hunt with from Enon he explained that its not hard to shoot out a place I say with that ment spent casing's that's it deff got shot out

    ReplyDelete